Cereal used to be one of my favourite foods but as I’m trying to eat healthier I try not to have it often. Store-bought options are full of more sugar and additives than you’d imagine. For breakfast I now have baked beans or egg and whole grain toast. Not only is this a lot healthier but it also keeps me fuller for longer. There are some mornings that I just crave cereal though so I decided to make my own. Luckily for me homemade granola seems to be very popular at the moment so there were recipes all over the internet! The common theme in all these recipes was oats as the base, nuts for an added crunch, maple syrup to give it a nice caramel taste and anything else you want to throw in. I didn’t follow a recipe as such but got ideas from a number of sites and just used what I had lying around and what I like the taste of.
Keep reading for the recipe…
2 cups of Oats
1/2 cup of Almonds
1/4 cup of Cashews
1/4 cup of LSA
2 tablespoons of melted Butter
1 teaspoon of Honey
2 tablespoons of Golden syrup
1. Mix your dry ingredients in a bowl
2. Mix butter with honey and golden syrup and stir until combined
3. Mix wet and dry ingredients, making sure to cover all of the dry ingredients with the butter mix.
4. Lay on a flat baking sheet lined with baking paper.
5. Bake at 180c for about 30 minutes, mixing halfway through.
6. Let cool and then place in an airtight container and store in the fridge.
Now this isn’t an extremely healthy recipe as it’s got butter and golden syrup but it’s a lot healthier than any store-bought option.
I’ve eaten mine as cereal, taken it in a glad bag for a snack at work and even added it to vanilla ice cream for a crunchy caramel taste.
Have you ever made granola or any other type of cereal? I was quite shocked as to how easy it is.